Sugar addiction is a serious epidemic and it’s not our fault! Our food system sets us up for failure. In order for you to love the taste and keep coming back for more, food manufacturers will add in sugar in all different forms – sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), turbanado, and maltodextrin, to name a few. This sets you up for food cravings and addiction! The added sugar snuck into our foods is causing 1 out 3 children and 2 in 3 adults to be obese and at risk for diabetes. Let’s take back control! Here are 6 tips to bust your sugar cravings to lower your inflammation and chronic disease risk:
1. Blood Sugar Balance The first and most important thing is to keep your blood sugar balanced throughout the day. If you have having dips in your blood sugar, sugar and refined carb cravings will come on full force. Remember PFC every three (protein, fat, carbs) every three hours – to learn more about this, make sure to sign up for my 10 day repair and renew jumpstart which will explain PFC in more detail and give you examples of great meal and snack ideas!
2.Eliminate for a period of time, but not forever. This can be controversial. I truly believe that you must eliminate sugar for a period of time, but you also must follow up with intuitive eating to reintroduce in order to develop a healthy relationship with sugar. This idea of eliminating forever does not work long term and will lead you down the relapse road full of guilt and sadness. Work with a registered dietitian trained in Intuitive eating to help guide you on the proper ways to reintroduce!
3. Sleep! You MUST get 7-8 hours of sleep to ward off sugar cravings.
4. Manage stress! Stress increases cortisol levels which will send you straight to the vending machine. Try stress reducing strategies such as meditation, journaling, prayer, yoga, or just plain cutting things out of your life that are stressing you out (toxic relationships, stressful job, too much physical activity, etc.)
5. Support your good gut bacteria. Research shows us that good bacteria crave fiber and will literally tell your brain to eat more of it through the vagal nerve! The opposite is true for sugar. The more sugar you eat, the more bacteria you will grow that love sugar and will tell your brain to eat more! You want to start to build up the bacteria that love fiber so they will begin to take over the sugar loving bacteria. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, and probiotics are a great way to put in more of that fiber loving bacteria to curb sugar cravings. To learn more, check out this video.
6. Resolve micronutrient inadequacies – a few supplements have been shown to help with reducing sugar cravings:
High quality B- complex
Chromium 200mg – 3 times a day to help with blood sugar balance.
Gymnema Sylvestre – Has been used for 1,000s of year in Ayurveda to help curb sugar cravings. It has been shown to decrease A1C in diabetics!
High quality probiotic – Help replace those sugar loving bacteria!
Hope you guys enjoyed my tips for busting sugar cravings! Make sure to download the 10 day repair and renew your hormones and metabolism by entering your email to the homepage! This will serve as a great jumpstart to get you on the road to a healthy relationship with sugar.